As I explained in my 3rd Party Project entry, I’m sharing a summary of what I think the key policies are for each third party candidate. In the interest of fairness, I haven’t added additional context to the candidates’ positions. Still, this summary probably leaves a lot to be desired, so if you are interested in what you see, I encourage you to visit the candidate’s site at jillstein.org.
Green Party Ticket: Jill Stein/Cheri Honkala
Summary of Jill Stein – On the Issues
- Demilitarize U.S. foreign policy and border crossings, and close 140 bases abroad
- End the wars and ban use of drones
- Restore Nat’l Guard as our defense.
- Build a nationwide smart electricity grid
- Enact the Full Employment Program (25m green jobs)
- Make the minimum wage a living wage.
- Establish non-profit, publicly-owned utilities
- Repeal NAFTA and other “free trade” agreements
- Cut the Pentagon budget by 50%
- End bailouts
- End fracking that threatens public resources
- Expand federal support for locally-owned media
- Repeal the Patriot Act and National Defense Authorization Act
- Halt deportations
- Enact DC statehood
- Expand access to the “morning after” contraception
- Oppose the Online Piracy Act
- Prohibit infringement on assembly and peaceful protest.
- Implement marriage equality nationwide
- Legalize marijuana
- Medicare-for-all insurance program.
- Restore the Glass-Steagall Act
- Nationalize the Fed within the Treasury
- Prohibit private banks from creating money
- Break up the oversized banks that are “too big to fail”
- Establish federal, state,municipal publicly-owned banks
- Immediate moratorium on foreclosures and evictions.
- Protect public school systems from privatization
- End high-stakes school testing, and teacher merit pay
- Free education from kindergarten through college
- Abolish electoral college
- Remove ballot access barriers
- Equal access to the ballot and debates to all qualified candidates
- Repeal Citizens United
To learn more about Jill Stein, visit her site at www.jillstein.org.